Tuesday, July 1, 2008

What is it, you ask? Why it's a simple bird feeder... for the simple birds. What it's not is a squirrel feeder for those complicated squirrels. After spending a few hours hearing about the pack of 10-12 squirrels who were gorging themselves on the birdseed... and watching my friend trying to scare them off... and also her tales of greasing up the post - to no avail. What seems to have finally worked is this large diameter tube - one that the squirrels can't get their little arms wrapped around. Funny, eh? To what lengths we have to go to to outwit those little critters!?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yesterday I opened the door to the mailman and shrieked when I saw something small, furry and dead on the doormat. Poor Larry nearly stepped right on it. Tom Nelson, the bad cat, had made a mid-day snack of TWO baby squirrels and left half of one and the tail of another for my viewing pleasure. Those are the first squirrels I've seen real close by. I can't think why that would be.

ick.

nan16 said...

There are wiley aren't they? A couple of years ago when I had tomatoes in my garden, I would wait anxiously for the big green ones to get a touch of pink so I could bring them in to ripen before the birds got them. Each night I would look and know the next day the pink would be showing. I'd get up in the morning and rush out and see that big green tomatoes with a littl pink spot waiting for me on the stairs with a big chunk eaten out of it. You can't make me believe they didn't know what they were doing!